Friday, October 10, 2008

Binkies Are For Babies!


We, actually I, finally did it! The pacifier, also known as Derek's binky, is now gone for good! Derek is almost 2 1/2 and has become even more attached to the binky. It used to only be given to him at nap time and bedtime, and occasionally in the car, but lately he wants it constantly. With the encouragement of his daycare teacher, I just took all the binkies away cold turkey. We tell him that we gave them to the babies. He then lifts up my shirt and looks for them. We didn't even have to go buy a toy to 'replace' the pacifier... how great! He went to bed last night perfectly fine without and it and didn't even ask for it... I was amazed! I thought it would be the first thing he asked for this morning, but he has been up almost 2 hours and hasn't even mentioned the word binky! I should have done this a long time ago. So far it's been easy.. let's hope that continues and he doesn't find any that he lost around the house!

5 comments:

jeanine said...

YEA! What a huge accomplishment!

everyday katie said...

That's lucky it went so smooth. It's funny we get so worried about things like that and the kids are ready for it if we just make them. None of my kids have ever used one. But my older two are thumb suckers. Parker quit on his own at about 3 1/2. I hope Reid does, too. The one nice thing about a pacifier is that you can take it away. A thumb is there forever.

By the way. Reid turns three at the very end of January. He's only a little older than Derek. HE really enjoyed bowling the first time we went, but not so much the second time. His attention span is not that long. So he loved it for the first 4-5 frames, but Spencer and I ended up bowling the second half for him.

Kris said...

Good job Kelly. Gennifer was WAY attached to her pacy. She called it a "pa" and she had it until she was about 2 1/2 also. I finally took the scissors and snipped the end off it and gave it to her and said, sorry, it broke! She put it in her mouth, and spit it out and said, "broke!" and that was that!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Glad it all went well and good idea to tell him the binkies are for babies! That way he is not so confused when they have um!

Genn said...

Way to go with the bye bye binkie!
I think I will let Hannah hold onto hers until after Claire's arrival. That way if she has a hard time adjusting, she has that as her comfort. Then after she is used to idea of Claire sticking around for a while, it's bye bye binkie for Hannah too!
Good work! I hope he doesn't want it back.

Can you please change your settings so that I don't have to type in that silly code word when I leave a comment. I just had to type the longest most ridiculous amount of scrambled letters yet!

PS- It was fun meeting you and D today!