Monday, May 17, 2010

He's Four!

Our little man isn't so little anymore.  He turned four on May 12th.  It was a nice day.  Jason was home in the morning so we had breakfast together and Derek got to open a couple of presents.  Everything we gave him had to do with Toy Story.  He still loves watching the first and second movie... all the time.  Anything that has to do with Woody makes him happy.

We went to Target so he could spend his birthday money from his great-grand parents.  He bought the movie, A Bugs Life.  We've been watching it over, and over, and over again.  Jason and I really like it, too.  The twins napped and Derek and I played with water balloons and swam in the spa.  It was really nice to have some alone time with him on his special day.














Both sets of grandparents came over in the evening and he got to open more gifts.  He had his own cake and the adults had strawberry pie.  He had a fun day and was really looking  forward to his party on Sunday afternoon.

We just had a small get together with our families and my BFF's family.  Derek was under the impression that all his friends from school were coming.  He had a ton of fun though, and didn't ask until this morning why all his friends didn't come.  I guess next year I have to throw the party with all his school friends.  Have I mentioned how much I hate birthday parties?  Probably just as much as I hate the park.

We grilled hot dogs, had salads, swam, and of course hit the Woody pinata.  Very easy and low key, but probably my favorite party of his so far because of how simple it was.

I've never really been into photography, but after seeing so many pictures that friends take with their SLR cameras(is that right??), I'm very jealous.  But I just don't see myself learning how to work such a nice camera.  So for more pictures of Derek's party, and some great writing, as well... go here



The best part of the whole day... as we were cleaning up Derek gave me a big hug and said, I knew I could count on you, mom.

6 comments:

everyday katie said...

He is one cute four year old. The party sounds perfect!

Kris said...

Very nice Kelly. I love the things he says!!!

Genn said...

Aww, I love that he could count on you! That's so cute. It was a lot of fun. Thanks for including us!

Traci Elizabeth said...

how cute is he!! I love that he told you that.

And, FANTASTIC pinata!

Anonymous said...

I love that he said he could count on you, how heartwarming! What a cutie and the bday sounded perfect! That's so nice that you guys have a pool!

Tawny said...

Happy Birthday Little Derek! I got my hair done on that Wednesday and Genn and I were talking about how crazy it is that he's 4!!!
Cute decorations! Looks like the kids all had a blast! Perfect pool party day :)