Monday, August 31, 2009

Getting Creative

This post is for Kristy. I tried your idea of giving the boys each a bucket of water and large paint brush and let them go in the backyard and "paint" whatever they wanted. But it only lasted about 5 minutes before the buckets of water were being poured over their heads and one boy was screaming because he was soaked.

I've tried crafts... gluing macaroni and different shapes to paper. I turned away for one moment and the boys are feeding macaroni to the babies... NICE! Or one is pouring glue all over the other one's head. OK, no more crafts!

The pool is hard when the babies are awake... so scratch that idea too. But it's HOT!

So I decided to blow up a baby pool and put it at the bottom of the clubhouse slide. Then I inflated a blow-up boat and put it at the top of the clubhouse, and filled it with water. Oh my goodness what happy 3 years old boys I had!



That fun lasted for hours! There was some screaming and some pushing each other down the slide, but it gave me many hours of bliss!

And then for the twins. Most of our downstairs area is tile. Now that James and Jillian are crawling and pulling themselves up on things, they tend to fall back. Not good on tile. So I'm forced to enclose them in somewhere. This is the only area that works. I had to move the coffee table out, which leaves more room for the kids to play. I HATE the way it looks, but it's much more functional now. I long for the time my family room doesn't look like a daycare! They're pretty content until they realize they can't get out, then they get so mad! Especially Jillie.

8 comments:

Lauri said...

I just read a few of your past posts. I'm amazed at how well you are handling twins, a 3 year old, AND a cousin. I know it isn't always easy but overall, you are an amazing mom of twins. Kudos to you!

everyday katie said...

IT's like their own private water park. Can I send my kids?

Kris said...

Kelly, I am laughing!!! So, I guess some things work with some kids, and for others....not so much! Sorry! Love your pool and slide though. Bet they loved that. WE have a slide going right into the pool for the kiddos. Good idea to keep the babies contained too. Hopefully this heat will break soon so we can all go outside again!

jeanine said...

Love the "water slide" idea! Isn't it great that something so simple can entertain for hours!

ps. I swear we have the same couches!

Anonymous said...

Love your ideas! More importantly, love that it worked for hours!!

Was wondering if you ever got my comment back about the rug in my fam room? Just don't want you to think I ignored you ;)

Love that you have a way to keep the twins in jail too. Madison yells, I'm sorry, I mean screams when I contain her or block off the stairs. Fun, fun, fun, it's hard to be a baby.

Genn said...

Great idea with the baby pool and boat! Looks like fun!

Melissa + Brett said...

Oh Kelly! You do have your work cut out for you. Great idea with the baby pool and boat!!!

Tawny said...

You go girl, great creativity! I love that swingset, wish we had the backyard for that!